Receiving Plasmids in the Mail
Most plasmids are shipped as aliquots blotted onto filter paper. There will typically be between 200 – 1000 ng of plasmid DNA on the paper.
- Clean and sterilize one pair of scissors and one pair of forceps with 70% EtOH. Wipe both down with a kimwipe.
- Cut the filter paper designated as containing the plasmid and transfer to a labeled microfuge tube with the forceps
- Add 20-30μl of sterile deionized water directly onto the paper and push the paper to the bottom of the tube with the pipette.
- Vortex 1 min
- Centrifuge at 3000rpm for 20 min.
- Proceed to transform or store at 4°C for short term, or -20°C for long term storage. (Use 2-5 μl per transformation).